Adelaide joins the Global BDS Week of Action to Protest HP
Photos from the Adelaide action to Protest HP,
25 November 2016
>> Click here for the Who Profits report on HP's involvement in the Israeli occupation >>
In Palestine, Hewlett Packard companies provide imaging for Israel’s apartheid checkpoints and ID cards system; enable Israel’s deadly blockade of the Gaza Strip; provide services to illegal Israeli settlements; and manage people for profit in Israeli prisons where torture is systematic. While claiming to uphold values of social responsibility, HP companies are notorious for involvement in oppressive practices worldwide, like providing technology to enable deportations, mass incarceration, and solitary confinement in the United States.
From the United Kingdom to Malaysia, from the United States to Italy, from Germany to Palestine, organizations in cities worldwide are organizing campaigns and actions to hold HP accountable, and so can you!
The Palestinian BDS National Committee and the US Campaign for Palestinian Rights have launched an international pledge. Click here to sign the pledge.
There are many other ways your group can take part in the HP Week of Action! Here are 10...
- Launch a campaign to get HP de-shelved from a local store.
- If the store refuses, hold signs and flyer outside to escalate pressure and educate shoppers about HP and Palestine. Or flyer on a busy street during shopping season. Gather local signatures for the soon-to-be-released protest HP petition.
- Organize a mock checkpoint or protest HP flash mob!
- Go holiday carolling - with protest HP lyrics.
- Hold an informational teach-in about what makes HP an important target.
- Ask a local community institution or church to pledge to be HP-free.
- Get creative putting protest HP stickers in smart places.
- Host a social media house party; culture-jam HP with your friends on Twitter. Or sign up here to join a social media team to tweet/post throughout the week!
- Organize an action outside of one of HP’s offices or tech industry gatherings.
- Start building a municipal, campus, and faith-based campaign targeting HP.
Now is a great time to start identifying local HP vendors or researching institutional ties -- such as contracts and investments -- between HP and your city, university, or faith community.
Together, let’s show HP companies it’s time to live up to their stated principles. The International Boycott HP Network is putting together resources to take some of these actions.
Also, check out the recent webinar recordings:
Sign up today to get connected with resources for the Global BDS Week of Action!
Don’t forget to RSVP on Facebook too!
22 Nov. 2016, Mondoweiss: ‘Global BDS Week of Action’ to target occupation profiteer Hewlett-Packard
21 Nov. 2016, BDS Movement: BDS activists to launch HP consumer boycott on Black Friday
17 Oct. 2016, Electronic Intifada: Palestine solidarity campaigners target HP